- Loading CountdownMonaco GP in
No 20th race in 2013 confirms Ecclestone
Tuesday 05th February 2013, 17:08 by TF1T Staff
The 2013 calendar will feature just 19 races, rather than the 20 featured on last year's record breaking schedule, according to F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone.
The 82-year-old had hoped to find a host for the available 20th slot which would have been a European race taking place on July 21st.
However, despite interest from France, Portugal, Austria and Turkey, it is too late to "slot it in", Ecclestone told The National newspaper.
"The calendar has been formed already, it's too late," he said at a press conference announcing a new sponsorship deal with Emirates.
"[I'm] disappointed that it didn't happen before; we can't suddenly slot it in."
He also denied that Dubai could be in the running to host a race following the tie-up between Emirates - a Dubai based airline - and the sport.
"We have a restriction for 20 races and we already have two in this area [Abu Dhabi and Bahrain], so it would be difficult to pop another one in."