- Loading CountdownAustralia:
Pérez says Sauber can win races in 2013
Sunday 06th January 2013, 12:24 by Ryan Wood
© Sauber Motorsport AG
Sergio Pérez believes Sauber will be capable of winning races in 2013 after coming so close to achieving their first win last season.
The Mexican, who will race for McLaren after agreeing a deal to replace Lewis Hamilton, came close to his and Sauber's first win on three occasions last year when he finished second in Malaysia and Italy, as well as taking third in Canada.
With the stable regulations, he sees no reason why they should be any less competitive.
"Sauber will be strong again, I am convinced of that," he told Speed Week. "The rules are fairly stable and they have understood their car well, so why should they be worse than they were in 2012?
"I even think there will be a few races that they will be capable of winning," insisted the 22-year-old.
Despite leaving the team for one of the sports most successful - McLaren - he has high hopes for Sauber this year.
"Sauber has done a lot for me. I would be happy for the team if it all goes well, more so than any other team – of course with the exception of McLaren!"
Sauber will begin the season with a new driver line-up of Nico Hülkenberg and Esteban Gutiérrez.
Note: Sauber have one race victory (Canada, 2008) to their name under the BMW Sauber partnership.
The F1 Times is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV or any other subsidiary associated with the official Formula One governing organisations or their shareholders. Official Formula One information can be found at www.formula1.com.