- Loading Countdown to Race
Button says 2012 his worst year at McLaren
Tuesday 06th November 2012, 18:14 by Ryan Wood
İAndrew Ferraro/LAT Photographic
Jenson Button isn't happy with how he has performed this season and declared it his "worst year" since he joined the team three years ago.
The 2009 champion largely blamed his car for the woes he's experienced. Having won just two races this season so far, he currently sits sixth in the championship - what would be his lowest position in the championship for McLaren if he were to finish there in two races time.
The 32-year-old is keen to get to the bottom of his issues, which he admits don't seem to be effecting Lewis Hamilton, before the season is up.
"This car hasn't suited me as well as McLaren's last two," he told the Guardian. "Since I've been here this has been the worst year.
"The car is quite unusual in the way that it works. It works really well for Lewis, and works really well for me at times. But the consistency isn't there."
"It's been tricky, even on good weekends. We've had a problem pretty much every weekend, lately. We've got to try a few new things with the set up. I'm not happy with where it is at the moment."
The aim now however is to close the gap to Ferrari in the Constructors' before focussing on 2013.
"Hopefully next year will be perfect," he added. "Next year is exciting but we've still got two races where we want to do well in. We still want to get Ferrari in the constructors, but it's 22 points [behind] now, which is quite big. We need some good points in the next two."
The F1 Times is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV or any other subsidiary associated with the official Formula One governing organisations or their shareholders. Official Formula One information can be found at www.formula1.com.