- Loading CountdownAustralia:
Organisers confirm New Jersey GP delay
Friday 19th October 2012, 15:59 by Ryan Wood
© Red Bull Racing
The organisers of the Grand Prix of America set to be held on a 3.2 mile street course in New Jersey, have confirmed the event will be delayed until 2014 as previously reported by The F1 Times.
Promoter Leo Hindery held a press conference on Friday to explain the reasons behind the delay, citing ongoing construction issues as the main reason.
"We are going to be racing at Port Imperial, unfortunately just not as soon as we hoped and expected," said Hindery on Friday.
"We promised Governor Christie, the Towns, the sport and its international fans the best possible experience, and unfortunately we need additional time to ensure that happens."
Hindery and Formula One CEO Bernie Ecclestone both expressed their committment to the event despite the delay.
"We remain 100% committed to the Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial and the race could have no better partner and friend than the CEO of Formula One, Bernie Ecclestone," concluded Hindery.
Ecclestone added: "I remain totally committed to the Port Imperial race and its unique location and attributes, and we will continue to work closely together to realise our dream in 2014.
"As Leo says, we are still going to be racing at Port Imperial, now however in 2014."
The F1 Times is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV or any other subsidiary associated with the official Formula One governing organisations or their shareholders. Official Formula One information can be found at www.formula1.com.